PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP II: Education Abroad 101Date: Jun 18, 2017
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Hosted By: BCCIE
Location: Kelowna, BC
Join colleagues from the Education Abroad community in Canada as we provide an introduction to education abroad advising and programming. This half-day workshop is designed for those who are new to the field of education abroad. Participants will normally include those working in the areas of advising and/ or programming for students at Canadian institutions who are going abroad to study, work and/or volunteer. Topics covered during this interactive workshop will include:
- Introduction to education abroad as a professional area of practice
- EA opportunities – an overview of models and programs
- Basic advising skills and resources
- Inclusive EA – Creating EA opportunities and advising for diverse student populations
- Marketing and recruiting for EA
- Pre-departure and re-entry programming
- Risk management Basics
Throughout the workshop, participants will engage in small and large group discussions, case studies, roleplaying, and other interactive learning tools. By the end of the workshop, participants should expect to:
- have an expanded understanding and awareness of EA as a professional area of practice, including further opportunities for professional development;
- be able to review and recommend models for EA opportunities;
- have enhanced their advising skills and awareness of related resources;
- have an expanded understanding of, and confidence with, the complexities of working with diverse student populations;
- have additional knowledge and tools for EA marketing and recruitment;
- be able to review, recommend and/or introduce enhanced pre-departure and re-entry programming; and,
- have an expanded understanding and awareness of basic risk management best practices.
Note: This is a modified version of the full-day workshop offered at the CBIE Annual Conference in November 2016.
Kate Jennings, Chair, Education Abroad Professional Learning Community (EAPLC), CBIE & Director, International Student Services, Vancouver Island University
Colleen Packer, Manager, International Learning Programs & University of Calgary International
Mami Schouten, International Co-op Coordinator, University of Victoria
Laura Marchese-Smith, B.A.H., Study Abroad Advisor & Vice-Chair, Education Abroad Professional Learning Community, CBIE.