CANCELLED: Mexican University Consortium Roundtable and Networking EventDate: Mar 15, 2017
Time: 10:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
Format: Presentations followed by Roundtable and Networking Luncheon
Hosted By: BCCIE
Location: Simon Fraser University (SFU) Harbour Centre, Room 2270 515 West Hastings St., Vancouver, BC
Note: Due to unforseen circumstances, this event is cancelled. We hope that it will be rescheduled in the near future. Please check this page and your emails for updates. Thank you.
Please join us for an informative presentation and networking opportunity with a strategic consortium of Mexican higher education institutions. We will be joined by colleagues from the Consulate General of Mexico, Vancouver. The delegation is being led by Juan Navarro, Director, CMXpartnerships.
The Consortium of Mexican Universities* (CUMex) involves thirty (30) higher level institutions distinguished for serving more than 93% of enrolment of advanced technical degrees, associate degrees and bachelor degrees of high quality programs in Mexico; these are the programs that are recognized by the outlines and processes of the National Evaluation and Certification System. Two members from the Consortium will be in attendance.
Joining this delegation will be representation from the Universidad Panamericana, one of the top ranking universities in Mexico comprising four campuses, with over 12,000 students in 33 degree programs. One delegate will be in attendance.
We are also delighted to welcome Consul General of Mexico, Berenice Díaz Ceballos to this event. Consul General Díaz Ceballos will offer introductory comments and provide some broader context for recent trends and developments in the education sector in Mexico and how best the International Education sector in BC can engage.
The delegation has a range of interests in pursuing collaboration and partnership with BC institutions, including:
- Promotion of internationalization between BC and CUMex institutions
- Development joint English/Spanish programs for Canadian and Mexican universities
- Promotion of cultural exchanges through academic fairs in Canadian and Mexican universities.
- Consolidation of CUMex institutions as an international destination for advanced studies
- Forging international agreements for cooperation and research on global issues
The Canada-Mexico academic relationship is vibrant and multifaceted; it is underpinned by over 400 inter-institutional agreements between Canadian and Mexican education institutions, as well as significant collaboration between Canadian provinces and territories and Mexican states. The relationship is characterized by deep people-to-people ties, rich cultural connections and growing trade and investment. This commitment is evidenced by a recent bilateral meeting where President Enrique Peña Nieto and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau committed to strengthen research, mobility and institutional collaborations at all levels. The province of BC has identified Mexico as a key partner for sustained and productive International Education collaboration. BCCIE will play a vital role in facilitating BC’s International Education engagement to the mutual benefit of BC and Mexico over the ensuing years.
- MC.Victor Abarca Ramírez. General Coordinator of CUMex. Director of Evaluation and Accreditation at Universidad de Guerrero (UAGro)
- MC. América Lizárraga González. CUMex Coordinator of the Internationalization Program. Bonding and International Relations General Director at Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa (UAS)
- MAP. José Betancourt Villa. CUMex Sub-coordinator of Internationalization Program. General Coordinator of Global Engagement at Universidad de Guerrero (UAGro)
Universidad Panamericana Delegate
- Alejandro Rodriguez Academic Secretary of the School of Economics and Business Universidad Panamericana, Guadalajara Campus
*Please refer to the full list of university consortium members.