[CANCELLED] BC’s participation in the 2019 Beijing International Student Summer CampDate: Jul 15, 2019 — Jul 24, 2019
Location: Beijing, China
Cost: Approximately CAD $2000
Please note that BC’s participation in the 2019 Beijing International Student Summer Camp has been cancelled.
BCCIE’s partner, Beijing International Education Exchange (BIEE), the international arm of the Beijing Municipal Education Commission, has again extended an invitation for secondary-school students from across British Columbia to participate in the 2019 Beijing International Student Summer Camp (the website will be updated with 2019 information soon.) The camp will take place July 15-24, which includes a half day pre-departure workshop in Vancouver. Chaperones/teachers from BC will accompany the students on the 10-day Summer Camp.
These spaces fill up quickly. Selection of students and chaperones will be on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS.
Each BC school district and independent school can nominate up to two local secondary students between the ages of 15 to 17 to participate in the program. Once you have selected your students, please send the requested information to Tom Wang at email@example.com by Friday, March 15, 2019 with the following details as outlined below.
Student information required:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Letter of support from the Principal or Superintendent
- We encourage districts and schools to promote this program and advise you that student selection is fully the responsibility of the school/school district. You must establish your own internal selection criteria and procedure to identify exemplary and team-oriented candidates as student ambassadors of BC and Canada.
- Districts or schools will be required to provide a brief letter of support from the Principal or Superintendent for each student selected to participate in the program.
- Participants who fail to follow camp rules or harm the reputation of the district or school will be sent home at their own expense.
- In an effort to extend this opportunity to as broad a range of students as possible, districts are encouraged to consider gender diversity in their selection of students from different schools where possible
We will also need two teachers who can act as chaperones. Districts or schools are welcome to nominate a teacher to accompany the group.
Costs related to the Summer Camp
All camp participants from BC are required to attend the pre-departure workshop prior to departing for Beijing. Related costs, including one-night accommodation in Vancouver, meals and transportation from hotel to Vancouver International Airport (one-way), will be covered by BCCIE. All in-China costs will be covered by the hosts, BIEE. These costs include accommodations in Beijing, meals, local transportation, tuition, and local activities.
Each participant from BC will be required to pay for
- International and domestic airfare between the participant’s home airport and Beijing,
- Medical/travel insurance, and
- An administration fee, which covers camp registration costs charged by BIEE and securing a China visitor’s visa.
The approximate anticipated cost for these items is CAD$2,000. Participants are also encouraged to bring spare funds for personal use. Please note that in the past some districts have covered some or all fees for their participating students and chaperones. Your support in this fashion would be appreciated.
This promises to be a life-altering experience for students from across our province and we encourage your support and participation. Should you have any questions or need additional information about the camp, please do not hesitate to contact Tom Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org.