Straight to your inbox
International Forum: World Universities, National Cultural Policies and Sustainable Development
In 1982 in Mexico City, MONDIACULT was held, a meeting of ministers of culture under the auspices of UNESCO. Since that historic event, different assemblies and dialogues have been held to place cultures, cultural rights, creators, artistic and historical heritage, among other aspects, in a place of relevance.
In a world devastated by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, in need of urgent action regarding environmental deterioration, the inequity in which hundreds of millions of people live, systemic violence, UNESCO has promoted meetings that recognize that culture is a substantial sector for the well-being of people and, therefore, a condition for the sustainable development of nations.
At the meetings of culture ministers held in 2020 (Ryadh) and 2021 (Rome), the social and economic value of the cultural sector was endorsed and actions involving governments, but also institutions and individuals, were encouraged. In the same way, there are a variety of precise documents that have been developed within UNESCO and from which the debates on cultural policies in the world are put on the table, the most recent being “Re|thinking policies for the creativity (2022)”.
Although the spirit of the intergovernmental meetings is the generation of national mechanisms that support the cultural sector and cultural rights, it is essential that other sectors participate in the reflections and offer, from their places of action and exercise, proposals for articulation to contribute to debates, promote local or regional analyzes and lead projects that benefit sustainable development from culture.
Therefore, all higher education institutions and centers are invited to the international forum “The world’s universities: cultural policies and sustainable development of the countries”, to be held in Mexico City, on September 26 and 27, 2022.
Which institutions are convened?
Any university, higher education institution, research center or college where undergraduate or postgraduate courses are administered.
- The necessary cultural policies in the current civilizational context of their regions and countries, as well as their contribution to sustainable development.
- The transversal function of culture as the axis for the work of universities and its impact/incidence in sustainable development and social life.
- University and cultural policies for an inclusive and quality education towards 2030.
Forms of participation and registration
- The participations can be with or without a paper. In the event that a paper is presented, it can be presented by:
- Universities or higher education institutions
- Groups of universities and/or higher education institutions that represent associations, regions, subregions or countries.
- In both cases it will be necessary to choose one of the three axes for the theme to be developed.
- You can participate in person or virtually through the platform.
- In both cases, registration must be done through www.mondiacultuniversidades.org from May 15.
- Papers must be submitted through the microsite no later than August 26, 2022.