Challenge and Opportunity – Vocational Education Forum in Pudong, ChinaDate: Oct 30, 2017
Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hosted By: Shanghai Pudong Education Bureau and BC Trade and Investment Office - Shanghai
Location: Pudong New District, China
Registration is now closed. For more information, please contact Jessie Gao, Education Marketing Manager, BC Trade and Investment Office in Shanghai at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Target audience: Public and private EQA-designated colleges
In China, the secondary technical/vocational schools were designed to enroll junior secondary school graduates for a 3 to 5-year program of study. Graduates were meant to be work-ready having gained comprehensive professional abilities and all-round competencies to directly engage in the forefront of production, service, technology and management.
However, vocational schools are now facing certain challenges where curriculum and training methods have become outdated; barely keeping pace with the changing labour market needs and trends. Instructors often do not demonstrate practical skills themselves and students lack sufficient hands-on training and workplace experience opportunities.
The Chinese government is now working to remedy this situation and part of the solution is to encourage international collaboration within the vocational education sector. BC Colleges have strong academic and hands-on training programs throughout their vocational education offerings with excellent industry communication and cooperation. BC Colleges are in an excellent position to cooperate and collaboration with Chinese partners and build mutually beneficial programs between BC and China vocational education institutions.
Shanghai Pudong Education Bureau and BC Trade and Investment Office – Shanghai will co-organize a vocational education forum to encourage the communication between vocational education sector s of Pudong and BC, to share their experience and discuss the potential cooperation opportunities.
- To provide a chance for BC colleges to understand and get first-hand market intelligence of the vocational education sector in Pudong, China
- To provide a networking opportunity with Shanghai vocational schools
- To provide a platform for BC colleges, including BC colleges outside the lower mainland to showcase their strong academic and hands-on training attributes
- To explore the potential collaboration opportunities
- Air travel, accommodation and all other expenses will be the individual responsibility of participants.
- For those who confirm the participation before Aug. 31st, 2017, you will be awarded an opportunity for 1 night 5-star free accommodation and free return transportation between the hotel and forum venue.
Agenda: Monday, October 30, 2017
|9:10–9:20||Opening remark by Director, Pudong Education Bureau (TBC)|
|9:20–9:30||Opening speech by Vice Consul, Consulate General of Canada in Shanghai (TBC)|
|9:30–9:50||Keynote Speech: Pudong Vocation Education Challenge and Opportunity (TBC)|
|9:50–10:10||Keynote Speech: Canada Vocation Education System and International Collaboration (TBC)|
School Introduction: 10 mins per school
|13:00–14:00||School Tour: Shanghai Pudong Foreign Affairs Service School|
|15:30–17:00||Tea break and networking|